Contract PHOTOGRAPHER MENTOR
Terms of Reference:
Mentoring support and technical advice for Young Women’s Leadership photographers (Creative Content Fund)
CARE Vanuatu’s Young Women’s Leadership Program, generously supported by the Australian Aid Program, is supporting emerging ni-Vanuatu women leaders to become change makers.
Established in 2017, the YWLP works with young women aged 18-30 to develop their skills, confidence and motivation to lead action for gender equality and ending violence against women and girls. Participants are supported through a 12 month program which includes workshops to build their self-confidence, skills and knowledge; ‘action projects’ within the participants’ own networks, internship opportunities and mentoring from experienced ni-Vanuatu women leaders. CARE Vanuatu also engages with participants’ family members and intimate partners to encourage their support. There are now 82 present and past participants of the program and a growing alumni network.
- A photo essay comprising of eight images from each young photographer (four per subject), telling the stories of up to eight YWLP participants and/or alumni (up to two per young photographer), along with a 500 word accompanying text for each of the 8 YWLP participants and/or alumni captured for the photo essays.
- Photo essay comprising of eight images and 500 words of accompanying text telling the story of the 4 young photographers.
- One day photography training and creative concept development workshop.
Purpose of the Consultancy
To support emerging female ni-Vanuatu photographers to document stories of change from the YWLP. This will include:
- Facilitating a photography workshop to prepare the 4 emerging photographers including refining creative concepts, professional tips and tricks, safety and ethics, scheduling and planning (with CARE support).
- Accompanying emerging photographers on photo shoots offering real-time support and troubleshooting and at the same time documenting their stories as they work. Each emerging photographer will be participating in two half day photo shoots.
- Assisting with postproduction and editing phots and narrative (with CARE support). This includes supporting each young photographer to select and edit appropriate images for their photo essays.
Desired Skills and Experience
The Photographer Mentor requires:
- Proven experience and skills in photography including postproduction
- Proven experience mentoring and training young photographers
- Experience and skills in workshop facilitation
- Strong writing and storytelling skills
- Good understanding of gender inequality in Vanuatu and challenges facing young women.
- Experience working and mentoring young women a strong advantage
- Strong time and project management skills
- Commitment to CARE’s Code of Conduct, including Child Protection and Prevention of Harassment and Sexual Exploitation.
How to Apply
Expression of Interest
Expressions of Interest should include:
- A maximum 1-page cover letter including a statement of capability introducing the consultant and how the skills and competencies described above are met using concrete examples.
- Current CV of the consultant including relevant examples of photographic work
- Daily fee rate
Expressions of interest and requests for further information should be submitted to Sylvain Malsungai at the following email address: sylvain.malsun[email protected].
Applications close 12th May 2021 at 17.00 (Vanuatu Standard Time).
Approved by Sharon Alder, Program Director
213 total views, 13 today