Contract MDR-TB AND LEPROSY OFFICER
Special Service Agreement (SSA) for MDR-TB and Leprosy Officer
The Special Services Agreement (SSA) is to assist the National TB/ Leprosy Unit of the Ministry of Health on program coordination, monitoring and management on Multi-Drug Resistant TB (MDR-TB) and leprosy.
Tuberculosis (TB) is the world’s top infectious killer. Nearly 4500 people lose their lives and 30 000 people fall ill with TB each day. TB is contagious and airborne. It is caused by bacteria (Mycobacterium tuberculosis) that most often affect the lungs. The bacteria that cause tuberculosis (TB) can develop resistance to the antimicrobial drugs used to cure the disease.
The Vanuatu TB/ Leprosy program is based on a programmatic approach, combining well defined management systems with fully integrated service delivery and a multi-sectorial approach with both national and international partnership.
In Vanuatu, 93 TB cases were notified to the national TB program in 2019. Since 2017, 5 MDR TB cases have been detected.
Leprosy still occurs in more than 120 countries, with more than 200 000 new cases reported every year. In 2019, 7 cases of Leprosy were notified to the Vanuatu MOH National TB/ Leprosy program. Leprosy causes more physical deformity than other infectious diseases. Stigmatization of persons affected by leprosy continues to hamper early detection.
In order to strengthen the National TB/leprosy program, a MDR-TB and leprosy officer is being recruited under the Terms of Reference below.
The MDR-TB and leprosy officer will be working at the National TB Unit under the Directorate of Public Health and will report to the National TB/ Leprosy Coordinator, as well as to the WHO Communicable Diseases Officer.
Post Title: MDR-TB and leprosy Officer
Contract Type: SSA
Salary: 115,567 Vatu per month 1,386,800 Vatu per annum
Government Salary scale: PS 4.5
Duty Station: Port Vila, Vanuatu
Duration: 01 October 2020-30 March 2021 (renewable)
Term of References:
The following Term of References (TOR) for the period in which the officer will be contracted under SSA is as follows:
- Responsible to organize trainings and workshops, prepare training plans and material for skills development of health workers including all stakeholder on MDR-TB
- Coordinate the development or sourcing of IEC/ BCC materials on MDR-TB and Leprosy, and its distribution to intended users in collaboration with stakeholder partners.
- To monitor the MDR-TB, TB and Leprosy drugs in the central medical Store (CMS) and confirm the quantity of drugs to be supplied to the Provincial Hospital and also to check the validity and quantity of drugs to be ordered by CMS.
- To monitor other logistic support and supplies i.e. sputum cups, slides and laboratory reagents in VCH and other Provincial Hospitals.
- To make physical preparation for national MDR TB and Leprosy workshops, events or meetings and
- To be responsible for the entering and updating of MDR-TB and Leprosy data’s at quarterly basis
- To accompany the TB Nurse and provincial TB/ Leprosy officer for follow up of MDR-TB and Leprosy patient – defaulter or treatment evaluation, according to the time table
- To assist whenever necessary in facilitating the day to day running of the Office; distributing mails for the unit, making flight booking or collecting items for the unite, filings etc..
- To assist the National Coordinator on any issues when ever required.
- To assist with stewardship over all relevant assets and ensure that they are appropriately maintained
- To abide by the rules and regulations on the Ministry of Health, Public Service Commission and the Staff Manual
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Tertiary qualification in one or more of the following areas: Medicine, Public Health, TB/MDR-TB, leprosy
- Experience with government administrative and finance system is an asset.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in program management and/or community work.
Competencies required for the above position
- Coordination, planning & organization skills
- Workshop/ meeting facilitation and reporting
- Excellent computer skills and a working knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications, databases, Internet, search engines, and email.
- Strong planning and organizational skills, having the ability to handle multiple tasks independently with varying timelines.
- Strong interpersonal skills, working positively and sensitively with staff, community members, and constituents.
- Ability to work in the field under difficult environmental conditions.
General Terms and Conditions of Employment
Various benefits including allowances and annual leave/ sick leave apply. Contract duration is until 30 March 2021 subject to an extension.
304 total views, 1 today