Contract RESILIENCE AND RESPONSE PROGRAM MANAGER
Job Reference: CIV2317
CARE is an international humanitarian and development organisation fighting global poverty, with a vision to which focuses on empowering women and girls to fight poverty and bring lasting change to their communities. We work in over 80 countries around the world. We work with partners to achieve lasting results for marginalized communities.
CARE has been working in Vanuatu since 2008 helping communities to increase their resilience to disasters and climate change, respond to emergencies and to advance gender equality. CARE in Vanuatu has a long term program strategy which seeks to contribute to resilience and equality in Vanuatu where men, women, boys and girls enjoy equal rights and opportunities.
It has three programmatic portfolios (Gender Equality, Resilience, and Inclusive Governance) that involves a diverse range of donor funded projects, delivered in partnership with government and civil society.
CARE in Vanuatu is looking for an experience Resilience and Response Program Manager to lead on the development and implementation of projects within the Resilience and Response Program Portfolio and will play a key role leading on Response when an emergency occurs.
The Resilience & Response program portfolio includes several sub projects that are designed to complement each other and contribute to CARE’s overall resilience programming. A core project under the Resilience Program is the 4.5-year Disaster Ready Project, funded by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Another core project under the Resilience Program is a 2-year program funded by USAID and aiming at building resilience in communities in Tafea, while supporting shelter preparedness to be mainstreamed in disaster preparedness.
This position is based in Port Vila with travel required to other projects and emergency locations.
Your major responsibilities will be varied and will include:
Strategy and Leadership
- Lead the development and review of the Resilience & Response Program including projects within the portfolio.
- Lead the development of new project designs. This includes developing project concepts and supporting sourcing funding and partnership opportunities.
- Input into the development of high-quality proposals for submission to donors for the Resilience (including Climate Change) and Response programs;
- Actively contribute to CARE Vanuatu’s long program term strategy implementation through engaging in workshops and review processes.
- Provide technical input on Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation and demonstrate a commitment to CARE’s approach and values including gender equality, diversity and cultural sensitivity and inspire leadership on these issues through the CARE Vanuatu team; and
- Support gender equality in the implementation of the Resilience and Response programs.
Project Management and Implementations
- Lead project management and implementations of all resilience and response projects within the portfolio, including project planning, budgeting, implementation oversight and direction, monitoring and program quality
- Oversee contract compliance throughout the program cycle, that project activities align with the project proposals and contribute to the achievement of the project goals and objectives;
- Support the Project teams to have a sound understanding of the project goals and develop appropriate and effective work plans and implementation schedules
- Effectively manage project budgets, and ensure efficient and proper use of project funds in line with the approved budgets and in compliance with CARE’s finance manual and donor guidelines
- Track and manage project expenditure through regular review of budget versus actuals, burn rates, costed work plans and transaction listings
- Coordinate and monitor Project implementations to ensure projects are on track, on time and meeting deliverables
- Actively manage risks and adapt programs plans as needed to changes in the operating context and emerging issues
- Ensure high quality and on time donor reporting against all projects
General Management and Leadership
- Effectively manage the Resilience and Response team, ensuring effective lines of supervision are in place at all levels, ensuring staff have a strong understanding of their roles and their contribution and accountability to delivering on program goals;
- Providing effective staff support and development through direct supervision, ongoing coaching/mentoring, including promoting national staff leadership
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with relevant government ministries, local and international NGOs, the UN and other agencies at the national level relevant to the portfolio
- Represent CARE Vanuatu and project partners in all relevant forums at national level.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL)
- Develop and implement a Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) plan which ensures that relevant information is gathered by program team members and is analyzed in a participatory manner with relevant stakeholders with support from the CARE Vanuatu Gender and Program Quality team;
- Ensure regular monitoring and evaluation visits are conducted to project sites;
- Ensure accountability measures are in place in all program activities;
- Lead and/or participate in regular reflection, learning and reporting workshops with the program team as required;
- Develop high quality reports and case studies that illustrate program progress and impact with support from the Gender and Program Quality Team.
Required qualifications and skills:
- Relevant Master’s degree or equivalent and/ or 5-8 years relevant work experience, preferably in community development activities and skills transfer, capacity strengthening preferably for an International Non-Government Organisation (INGO)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in both Bislama and excellent written and oral English
- Proven understanding of disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation in the Vanuatu context
- Demonstrated understanding of gender equality and a commitment to CARE’s approach and values including ethnic diversity and cultural sensitivity
- Demonstrated experience in effectively leading, people management and motivating a team
- Demonstrated strong leadership, decision making, problem solving, planning, analytical and influencing skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop and monitor budgets and to manage cash
- Demonstrated experience in effectively leading, people management and motivating a team;
- Ability to work under pressure and to organize and manage workload to meet deadlines and to work with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated honesty, maintaining confidentiality, reliable and trustworthy
- Representational skills including developing networks and relationships with other key stakeholders
- Proven understanding of working with an International Non-Government Organisation (INGO) and a willingness to learn about CARE, gender equality and women’s empowerment activities
- Fully conversant in Microsoft Office with knowledge in Microsoft Word and Excel.
1219 total views, 1 today