Contract AMBAE RECOVERY OFFICER – SAFE EMPOWERED COMMUNITIES
Ambae Recovery Officer – Safe Empowered Communities
(This JD is for interim use, pending endorsement by the VCC Board)
Position Title: Ambae Recovery Officer – Safe Empowered Communities
Responsible to: VCC Secretary General; Ps Shem Tema
Location: Port Vila, Vanuatu
With possibility of travel to Ambae
Term of Position: 8 months (February – September 2020)
Work hours: Monday to Friday
8am – 4.30 pm (11.30 – 1.30 lunch)
Program location: Efate and Ambae
Start Date: February 2020 tbc
Citizenship requirements: Ni-Vanuatu citizen
Vanuatu Christian Council (VCC) is the national umbrella organization of Vanuatu Churches; recognized as a Charitable Organization.
The VCC strives to help the communities in Vanuatu by running programs in Disaster Risk Management, Protection, and Gender amongst others through the Church networks and directly in the communities. The VCC currently has 18 staff in Port Vila to implement projects and administration.
VCC has worked closely with AfP, the international aid arm of the Australian National Council of Churches since 2008.
VCC takes the prevention of sexual misconduct, fraud and harassment, and child protection seriously. As part of our Child Safeguarding Policy, employment is conditional upon the outcome of a Police Background check
VCC, with support from Act for Peace is carrying out a project on Ambae to set up church leadership structures and communities returning to their island to be safe and inclusive of all. This position will work closely with the VCC Secretary General, DRR and Disaster Ready teams. The position will support VCC to run a consultation workshop to come up with a one week training to empower communities. The leadership training could include
- Dispute/conflict resolution tools
- Self confidence & building resilience through faith (empowerment)
- Practical disaster Resilience through theology
- Communication structure (including reporting to province where necessary)
- Strategic leadership planning
- Social inclusion and gender empowerment through human rights and faith (PWD, Gender)
- Referral pathways awareness
The officer will collate leader’s needs post consultation and streamline them to ensure they are appropriate for VCC through a workshop for development and testing with VCC member churches. The officer will consult with the NDMO, Project teams, PENAMA Province, Gender and Protection cluster and other external stakeholders with the guidance of VCC and supporting partner Act for Peace.
The officer will then ensure workshops are run on Ambae by relevant VCC and stakeholder staff, and follow up on any action plans. The officer will report and coordinate with all external stakeholders.
The Ambae Recovery Officer will be responsible for:
- Collating and tailoring existing resources to create an Ambae leadership training.
- Lead consultation meeting with stakeholders to trial resources.
- Logistics for national workshops and workshops on Ambae.
- Coordinating and reporting to the NDMO, Gender and Protection cluster, and other relevant bodies.
- Coordination and liaison with Churches of Christ and ACOM as needed.
- Follow up on community and church action plans on Ambae.
- Recruitment and liaison with Ambae Church Champion.
- Preparing parts of reports for donors including Monitoring and Evaluation needs.
- Participate in working groups as a representative of VCC as appropriate.
- Other duties as specified by supervisor.
- Core values align with VCC and AfP policies.
- A degree in a relevant field and or experience in Disaster Risk Reduction or general community development projects.
- Experience in disaster response or displacement highly desired.
- Experience in creating workshop or training materials.
- Any experience in building resilience through faith, empowerment, Theology of disaster, Social inclusion and gender empowerment through human rights, Dispute resolution tools, Referral pathways and child protection is a bonus
- An understanding of Monitoring and Evaluation processes.
- Demonstrated ability to respond to challenges and multiple project needs.
- Time management skills.
- Experience with cash handling in the field.
1008 total views, 2 today